My top 10 list of what I need to live:
1. Insulin, without which I will literally wither up and die)
3. Sleep - preferably 8 hours uninterrupted in a comfy bed
4. Pen and Paper - I need something to write with no matter what. Often it's just a little list I need to make, but I need to have something.
5. Exercise - preferably including yoga in the balance. I need exercise not only for fitness, but just to remind me to breath some days!
6. Nature - to be in it, to study it, absorb it, worship in it. Ocean, mountains, desert - they all make me feel happy and alive.
7. Blood glucose monitoring - I do a terrible job without it and feel terrible too.
8. Creative outlet. I'm actually flexible about what can count for this. When I was a bench scientist I didn't have as much need for artsy activities, or to cook as much.
9. Stories - specifically books and movies.
10. Time alone. I used to think of myself as an extrovert - but really I do need some time alone. Not a huge amount, but definitely some.
There are some other things I can't imagine living without, but I know I could really. Like music. Or the internet. Or avocado. Or the fact that I need at least one bag (or huge pockets) at all times to carry around my "essentials". I'm sure the list could get very very long! And I didn't include many of the basics that I take for granted, like water, food, shelter, money - and it makes me sad that so many in our world are lacking the basic means for survival.
For lent this year I kept a Gratitude Journal and challenged myself to write in it everyday. I have so much to be thankful for, not the least of which is being able to have and experience all the things on my top ten list several times over.